Heat Stroke By Rachel Caine

Saturday 5 May 2012

Heat Stroke (Weather Warden, #2)
Cover Rating: 4/5 Stars
Overall Rating: 4/5 Stars
Synopsis: Accused of murder, Weather Warden Joanne Baldwin was chased across the country—and killed—by a team charged with hunting down rogue Wardens. Five days later, Joanne had a lovely funeral and was posthumously cleared of all charges. Her human life was over, but she had been reborn in Djinnhood. Now, until she masters her enhanced powers, Joanne must try to avoid being "claimed" by a human. But when a hazard that only a Djinn could sense infiltrates Earth's atmosphere, Joanne must somehow convince someone to do something about it—or the forecast will be deadly. So who said being all-powerful was going to be easy?


Heat Stroke is book 2 in the Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine. As you may know she is one of my favorite authors and she never disappoints. Although I prefer her Morganville series this one is really great. One thing I like about Rachel Caine is all of her heroines are as bad-ass as they come. Joanne Baldwin is smart and deadly, yes she has her barbie doll moments but I can get over that. I was kinda shocked when at the end of Ill Wind she was reborn as a Djinn because - apart from vampires - it's not often an author changes her main characters species and even when they do it's usually near the end of a series. Well this is book two of nine so I wouldn't say it was near the end. Another thing I love about Rachel Caine is her writing style, it's relaxed and not forced as some author's writing comes across. The Weather Wardens series is very unique, I mean we always complain about weather but Caine actually was genius enough to write a book about weather.


We had the same familiar characters as in book one including Lewis - whom I'm not particularly fond of - and David - who I like slightly more but still don't love. I think the story line seemed slightly better in this book than the first which didn't have much of one. I liked them both equally though. The only thing that annoyed me was the length of the chapters, there were about five in the first book and this one had three. Seriously they were about 150 pages each and I always like to read to the end of chapters before taking a break so it was very irritating. I would recommend this book to lovers of Rachel Caine and kick-ass heroines. I would gibve this book 4/5 stars
I've been reading a lot lately so reviews of Unearthly and Specials coming very soon.


My Favorite Quote:
“Paul?” I said.
My voice shook a little. “It’s Jo.” Silence. I couldn’t tell what was happening on the other end.
Then, very quietly, “Jesus.”
“No, just Joanne, although I can see how you might make the mistake, coming back from the dead and all.” 




Email me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

0 People dared to comment.:

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.