What's Left Of Me By Kat Zhang

Sunday 17 March 2013

What's Left of Me (The Hybrid Chronicles, #1)Series: The Hybrid Chronicles #1 
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia
Release Date: September 18th 2012
Source: Bought
Overall Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
Cover Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
Synopsis: I should not exist. But I do. Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren't they settling? Why isn't one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn't . . . For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.

First Line: Addie and I were born into the same body, our souls' ghostly fingers entwined before we gasped our very first breath.

I love dystopian books, my only problem with them normally is that the originality that used to make them so special is slowly evaporating. We are now getting titles advertised as 'the next Hunger Games' but do we really want that. The thing that made the Hunger Games so popular was the fact it was so unique, I for one had read nothing like it. This is why I was a little skeptical of What's Left Of Me to begin with. Luckily, this book was about as original as they come. The book is set in a universe very much like ours but with one small difference, when a baby is born they have two souls instead of one. As they grow up the more dominant soul takes over and the other one just fades away. Eva and Addie are different though, Eva was thought to have faded away years ago but she didn't. Addie and Eva are hybrids, feared by the rest of the world, no one can know about them otherwise the consequences will be monumental...

I am ashamed to say that before reading this book I was afraid the characters might be bland and too similar, I mean with sharing a body and all. This was most definitely not the case. Eva was quick thinking and intense. Addie was more artistic and fiercely protective. Both sister's had an unbreakable bond which I envied but at the same time they were like normal sisters. They argued and ignored each other but there was an undeniable connection between them which accurately reflects most sibling relationships. I enjoyed reading about the other characters just as much. Hally, although annoying at first, turned out to be a great addition to the book. And Ryan, he was just perfect; sweet, kind, funny... I could go on forever.

The thing that drew me right into the book was the flawless, elegant writing style. There is nothing I love more than writing that is so beautiful that it flows effortlessly. Even the first sentence is rich in gorgeous metaphors. The story building was amazing and the book has me craving for the next one. I would recommend this book to both dystopia and non dystopia lovers alike because I promise you, you have never read a book like this one. I am hoping the next book lives up to the bar that this one has raised. It will be difficult but anyone who can write a masterpiece such as this one can do it.

My Favorite Quote:

“I was caged in our body and caged in his arms and, somehow, the former was the real prison.”

Email me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

5 People dared to comment.:

Unknown said...

This book sounds great. I'm weary of all dystopian novels after Hunger Games but this one sounds like a definite TBR.

Mel@Thedailyprophecy said...

I loved this book. I really liked how there are two distinct voices. I got to know Addie and Eva. I also liked Ryan! Great review :D

Mel@thedailyprophecy.

Sabrina said...

This is on my tbr shelf right now too! I need to read it already. :)

~Sabrina@iheart y.a.fiction

Unknown said...

Ahhh! I actully got Whats left of me for my birthday! And I am really enjoying it!

Zaira Lynn said...

I could not put this book down! From the very beginning, the author pulls you into both this futuristic dystopian world as well as into the lives of Eva and Addie (and their friends). There are parts that are chilling, but at the same time you always have hope. Well written, the plot moves along smoothly and quickly. Loved this book!

Zaira Lynn (Boiler Repair)

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.