The Iron King By Julie Kagawa

Sunday 13 May 2012

The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1)
Cover Rating: 4/5 Stars (Love the colors)
Overall Rating: 3.5/5 Stars
Synopsis: Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

I put off reading this book for a while because I'm not really one for faeries but after all the glowing reviews I had to see what all of the fuss was about. The first 100 pages of this book really creeped me out, I don't know what it was about it but I really didn't like it, it weirdly reminded me of the exorcist and that is the only horror film that has scared me to death . After I got over the freakishness the book was quite entertaining, slightly slow and at some point it lost the plot all together but I did quite like it. Now for the main character, I'm sure your all expecting a rant. Sorry to disappoint but there wont be one. I heard horrible things about the main character Meghan Chase but to be fair she wasn't that bad. No I didn't like her but I didn't hate her either. Annoying? Yes. Stupid? Yes. Unbearable? No. Now for the guys, I can't say they were my favorite but I did like them. We have Puck the joker and Ash the brooding prince. I don't really know either enough to pick a team just yet but I'm leaning towards Puck at the moment.

The premise of this book was actually quite interesting, I started this book thinking it would probably just be another random Faery book but I was wrong. This book focuses on the characters from A Mid Summers Night Dream. I'm familiar with the story which is why I recognized Pucks name. As well as Puck there was Queen Tatiana and King Oberon  whom you will recognize if you know the story and yes Tatiana is just as catty now as she was then. It was nice to see Shakespeare modernized. As well as Shakespeare Alice in Wonderland was mixed in there too. Guess which character? None other than Kagawa's own version of the Cheshire Cat renamed as Grimalkin. He I loved! I mean a sarcastic cat? Yes please. Someone needed to do it. Writing this review I've actually began to like this book more than I did before but I will stick to my original rating, I would give this book a high 3.5/5 Stars.


My Favorite Quote:
“He shook his head, examining the wound again. “It's not frostbitten,“ he muttered. “It'll blister, but you should be fine. You might only lose a couple fingers.“
I glanced at him sharply, but he was smirking. For a moment, I was speechless. Good God, the Ice Prince was making jokes now; the world must be ending.” 



Email me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

1 People dared to comment.:

RaeBeth McGee-Buda said...

Just coming by to let you know you were nominated for the Sunshine Award.

http://raebethmcgeeswriting.blogspot.com/2012/05/sunshine-award.html

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.