My Sister's Keeper By Jodi Picoult

Friday 13 April 2012

My Sister's Keeper
Cover Rating: 2/5
Overall rating: 3.5/5
Synopsis: Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate - a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister - and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you?"


I started this thinking 'it will be fine, I never cry at books' I finished it thinking 'Why did I read that? I should have known it would make me cry!' I've been wanting to watch the film of this for ages and I finally remembered that there was a book, even better. I knew it was going to be sad but Thirteen Reasons Why put me in the mood for a sad book - yes I've got more sad books lined up after this one. I have never read any books by Jodi Picoult before but I plan to read some more in the future. For some reason charity book shops always have her books in them. Throughout the book I couldn't help thinking how selfish Anna was for denying her sister the organ she needed to survive. When we got to the end and it was explained a bit more I stopped thinking Anna was selfish but brave instead but I think it should have been properly explained before. The only character I liked throughout the whole think was Campbell - Anna's lawyer - he was hilarious. 


I think the book was very well done for such a sensitive subject though it was a bit slow in places. The book is written in multiple point of views which worked well. I particularly enjoyed Campbell and Anna's point's of view. The thing that brought my review down was the ending, I feel it was unnecessary. It was as if Jodi was just taking the easy way out of a nearly resolved situation. It was done for the shock and nothing else. I would recommend this book to people in the need of a good cry. It was originally going to be a four star review but the ending brought it down to 3.5/5 stars. 


My favorite quote:
“You don't love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not.” 


Email me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

2 People dared to comment.:

Anonymous said...

Okay.
So I could have a bit of a bias, because My Sister's Keeper is one of my favorite books, but I think you didn't understand it at all.
The whole idea is for the readers to try and understand Anna and Kate's relationship, giving away the reason why Anna is denying Kate her organ would have ruined that. This complicated and dysfunctional family is what makes the book a bit of a mystery and makes it interesting. Also, as for the ending, you didn't understand that either. At all. No, it wasn't just done for a "shock," it was done to demonstrate the frailty of life, which is a common theme in the novel, as well as greatly change the lives of all of the characters.
So, in all, I think that you really didn't understand it at all. Maybe it was a little too deep for you. Try not to stick to the mold of a regular book and be a little more open-minded.

Unknown said...

This book actually made me cry.It was slow in some places but I loved it.

Nice review

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.