Undead By Kirsty Mckay

Tuesday 10 April 2012

Undead
Cover Rating: 0/5
Overall Rating: 2/5
Synopsis: "Being new at school bites. But at least it doesn't kill you. Mostly. Bobby thinks she might well be on the School Trip from Hell. Looks like she's going to be on this school bus for a quite a while; could things get much worse? Yep. They could. Inexplicably, her classmates start dying...and then they come back to life again...and what's more, they're very, very hungry. With nowhere to run and no contact with the outside world, Bobby is thrown together with a raggle-taggle group of survivors at a roadside cafĂ©. There's indie kid drop-out Smitty, the class beauty queen Alice, dweeby Pete and two near useless adults: a half-conscious bus driver and a volatile petrol station attendant. The frenemies struggle to stay alive - through explosions, deadly battles and a breakneck chase through the snowbound wilderness. Somehow they have to make it to safety - and get some answers - no matter what the cost. Can they survive the Undead? And each other?"


I didn't like this book, I knew I wasn't going to. I was given it by a friend so I thought I would give it a fair chance. I'm not keen on zombie books, I've only ever read one book that I liked that fit into that category. Undead is set in England but most of the language they used I knew no one in England would use an example being 'dweeb', I have never used that word and I've never heard it used. I felt the writing in Undead wasn't very mature but that may have been the point. The characters were very flat and most didn't have constant personality's. The main character Bobby annoyed me because she didn't seem to have any original thoughts, all of her thoughts were mostly repeating others, thinking about the main guy and hating the others. The only character I found slightly bearable was Smitty - yes his name annoyed me too - and he was only bearable because he made fun of the other characters I hated.

The whole situation was in no way believable. All the kids on the coach are turned into zombies from drinking carrot juice. Why would every person drink it? If you offered carrot juice to a group of teenagers my bet would be not one of them would drink it. It's vegetables blended into a juice, ew. Another thing that made it less believable is the girl, Alice, comes out of the bathroom and everyone's dead sure she cries but for what 5 minutes? The others don't seem to care at all and Pete is a psychopath who was happy to see their whole class dead. Why did everyone then insist on trying to save him? I would recommend this book to people who enjoy zombie books and I would say guys more than girls but that's just my opinion. I would give Undead 2/5 stars and that's generous.

My favorite quote
“I open my eyes and blow a straggle of hair out of my face. Not my hair, Smitty's. His head is buried in the crook of my neck and he's out cold. He uses raspberry shampoo? What a big girl.”


Email me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

2 People dared to comment.:

Anonymous said...

So - that doesn't sound good - probably rate your review better than the book by the sound of it. And no - I agree, have never called anyone a dweeb in my life - not especially British.

I have to say I hate books set in one country that are clearly written in the language of another - if they're going to speak in an american style then set it in American - it's just lazy writing.

One of my most hated books did this and I spent the time going back to the beginning to see if it'd missed the fact that the main character was from the US but living in England as the accent/words were all over the place. Needless to say after wasting the time I discovered that the author had lazily made an English character with a brother named Dallas (erm, ok) and then had her speak in a mainly American style, except for periodically throwing in a 'bloody hell' here and there - it was the literary equivalent of Dick Van Dyke rocking up every few pages to say, "Cor blimey Mary Poppins!" I think I spent more time considering the language than she had...

Oh well - long story short - won't be adding this to the tbr pile :)

Kimberly @ Turning the Pages said...

Thanks for the heads up about this one I'm adding it to my DNR pile :) I love your blog btw it's really cute! +New follower :D
-Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.