Author Interview: Julie Rainey

Thursday 26 April 2012

Lost Princess: The Journey HomeLook! We have an author interview, It's been a while. I have a few more lined up though so watch out for more. Today's interview is with the lovely Julie Rainey author of Lost Princess - The Journey Home. I haven't read it but it looks promising.

Tell me about yourself 
This is me, a full time mom and part time novelist, lover of rock music, science, space and the vast unknown that awaits us in the universe. I have a wonderful husband and two beautiful children who support me immensely. I live in rural Missouri near a town no one has ever heard of, unless you're a studying to be an engineer and love to drink on St. Pats, then you know where Rolla is.  Actually I think the college used to hold the record for most alcohol consumed in one evening.

Tell me about your book/s 
Eighteen years after two caring strangers decide to take her in Anne must face the harsh reality that everything in her life has been a complete and utter fabrication. With the help of her friend and Protector, she sets out on a journey back home, to planet she never even knew existed. Will she be able to defeat the terrifying evil that awaits her and uncover the truth about what's really happening there before it’s too late?

What are your favourite books?
My favorite book of all time is Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card followed by a close second and third, Wicked by Gregory Maguire and Forever War by Joe Hadleman.

Who is your inspiration?
My inspiration for this particular book series strangely enough came from an Astronomy class I took in high school. I had a very close friend who took the class with me and one day we decided to mess with the teacher a bit. We were studying constellations and we each had to pick a particular constellation to research and then give a presentation on. I picked Orion and it just so happened that on my arm, in freckles, you could distinctly pick out the design of Orion. Weird, I know. We presented this to the teacher amidst giggles which only garnered us a strange look. Once we had returned to our seats, we theorized that I was actually from Orion. That was nearly ten years ago but the story stuck with me and I eventually expanded on it with the encouragement of the same friend.

Are you working on any books we should look out for in the future?
Currently I am working on book two of the Lost Princess series, Fight for Stiros. It follows the same characters five years in the future as they discover an underground cave system on the previously uncharted continent of Agonos, which reveals an entirely different planet unknown to any on Eirini. By visiting this new world, Isabella has unwittingly left it open and vulnerable to her own enemies. Will she be able to defeat this formidable force before it destroys the once safe planet of Stiros?

What is your favourite quote?
“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”
-Albert Einstein

If you could be any character from any book who would you be and why?
Arwen from the Lord of the Rings, totally cheesy I know, but who wouldn’t want to be an elf?

What is your favorite genre? 
My favorite genre is science fiction by far. I love all things space and science. The other thing that interests me about science fiction is that it inspires real life inventions like with the screens in Minority Report (Philip K. Dick novel). Scientists are actually developing those now (per a report in Popular Science).
 
Who are your favourite authors?
My favorite author is Orson Scott Card. Others I enjoy are Joe Hadleman, Gregory Maguire, Dan Brown and Jane Austen (everyone needs a little romance).

What tips would you give young aspiring writers?
 
*Be brave. The hardest part is getting started. Take a deep breath and go for it.
*Don’t give up. If this is a passion for you, don’t let the speed bumps in life stop you.
*Have thick skin. Not everyone is going to love what you write and take their criticism in a constructive way.
 
If you could live in any story world what would it be?
I would like to say Ender’s world, but with aliens attacking and all, I don’t think I would want to be involved in that so I will have to say…the world in the Accidental Time Machine by Joe Hadleman. I’m always curious to see how life will progress into the future and without being able to live thousands of years a time machine would be perfect.
 
What is the worst book you've ever read?
I attempted to start reading the Fantastic Voyage by Isaac Asimov, which I should have loved considering the whole Science Fiction thing but for some reason I couldn’t get into it. I didn’t make it past the first chapter.

1 People dared to comment.:

Michael Cargill said...

Another author given the Emily run-down. Nice one.

That astronomy anecdote is quite amusing.

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.