Beautiful Creatures By Kami Garcia And Margaret Stohl

Friday 16 March 2012

Hello everyone, I just finished Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. I started this book with no clue what it was about, all I knew was I liked the cover but I am glad I did. Beautiful Creatures is told from Ethan's point of view which is unusual for me as I'm used to books always being from the girls point of view. I really liked it though.

This book is about a guy called Ethan who has lived in the same boring town all his life, nothing changes everything works like clockwork. Church on a Sunday, reenactments every year but Ethan has never felt like he truly belonged there unlike the others seemed to. Everything is normal. That is until Lena Duchannes arrives, she's the first new person in years and if that's not strange enough she's Macon Ravenwood's - the town's 'shut in'- niece and everyone hates her. Everyone except Ethan, to him she seems familiar and is a reminder of the freedom he craves. Could they be together though? There are more things that are against them than Ethan knows.
Here's the synopsis:

"In Ethan Wate's hometown there lies the darkest of secrets ...
There is a girl. Slowly, she pulled the hood from her head.
Green eyes, black hair. Lena Duchannes. There is a curse.
On the Sixteenth Moon, the Sixteenth Year, the Book will take what it's been promised.
And no one can stop it. In the end, there is a grave.
Lena and Ethan become bound together by a deep, powerful love.
But Lena is cursed and on her sixteenth birthday, her fate will be decided.
Ethan never even saw it coming."

I really enjoyed this book, I wasn't sure at first because as I said before it was told by a guys point of view. Luckily Ethan isn't the kind of guy whose thoughts you just wouldn't want to know. I quite liked nearly all of the characters in this book - yes even Lena - I really liked Ethan and I liked the way he acted. He wasn't the stereotypical 'hero' but I'd say he was very heroic. BC is a very unique book that had me guessing for a while, I didn't even guess what Lena was for a while and that's unusual for me. I would definitely recommend this book and I will give it 4/5 stars (see not an awkward number!).

My Favorite Quote:
"I pushed her hair behind her ear. "Maybe you just have to fall for one."
I said it, just like that. No stupid jokes, no changing the subject. For once, I wasn't embarrassed, because it was the truth. I had fallen. I think I had always been falling. And she might as well know, if she didn't already, because there was no going back now. Not for me.
She looked up at me, and the whole world disappeared. Like there was just us, like there would always be just us, and we didn't need magic for that. It was sort of happy and sad, all at the same time. I couldn't be around her without feeling things, without feeling everything.
"What are you thinking?"
She smiled.
"I think you can figure it out. You can read the writing on the wall."
And as she said it, there was writing on the wall. It appeared slowly, one word at a time.
You're not the only one falling."

1 People dared to comment.:

Laura @ My Enchanted Bookshelf said...

I have had this book on my shelf forever and still haven't read it; but now I really need to because it's gotten such good reviews and I saw somewhere that it's being made into a movie. Thanks for sharing; I'll be fitting this one in as soon as possible!!

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.