Shatter Me By Tahereh Mafi

Tuesday 21 February 2012

Hello everyone, I've been waiting to read this book for SO long! And eventually I got hold of it. Shatter Me is a Dystopia novel, I have been reading a lot of Dystopia lately. Shatter me follows Juliette, she can't touch anyone. The last time she did there were devastating consequences.Her touch is lethal. Everyone thinks she's a monster, Juliette thinks she's a monster. That's why she's been locked away where she can never hurt anyone. She's been on her own, not spoken to anyone in 264 days. That is until someone is thrown into her cell with her, but who is he and why would they put him in with her? The world Juliette lives in is dying; disease is killing off most of the population, the sky is the wrong colour and the birds don't even fly anymore. But what can Juliette do when the Reestablishment decide that she may be a useful advantage in their twisted plans?
Here's the synopsis:

 "Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.
Juliette has to make a choice:
 Be a weapon. Or be a warrior. "
I really enjoyed Shatter Me, the only problem was how fast I was reading it. I had finished the book within a few hours. It was really unique and it always suprises me how unique each and every Dystopia themed book is. How do these authors think of these things? The descrition in shatter me was so beutiful, Julliette who has been imprisoned and isolated still has a mind full of kindness and beauty. I loved nearly all of the characters; Juliette, Kenji, James and Adam. Especially Adam, he was such a sweet character. For once I actually really liked the heroine in the book, she may have been my favorite character along with Adam. I loved that what ever the world threw at her she never stopped being kind, compassionate and she wasn't one of the girls who are always complaining. In fact she never complained. I would rate this book 5/5 stars and I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel, Unravel Me.

My Favorite Quote:
“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”

6 People dared to comment.:

Michael Cargill said...

Sounds like a nifty read actually.

I didn't realise there so many dystopia novels out.

Alex said...

AHHH I love Shatter Me! I feel the same way about it!

Emily said...

@ Michael: either did I but I'm now going through a Dystopia phase
@ Alex: it really was a great book!

Tara Parsell said...

I read the book in one sitting too! I wish there had been more to it!

Emily said...

Same it read very fast, can't wait for the next book!

Buried In Print said...

Heheh. Pretty cool when the only "problem" with a book is that you enjoy it so much that you read it too quickly!

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.