Author Interview: Isabella Fontaine

Saturday 19 May 2012


I know we haven't had one for a while but we have an interview with Isabella Fontaine author of Prince Charming Must Die and what an awesome title that is. I haven't read it but I probably will in the future. Anyway it's time to get in the head of an author! 
Note: Some questions are answered by Isabella and her co-author Ken Brosky - just in case you were wondering who the random Ken person was (no offence Ken!).

Tell me about yourself
Isabella: I'm writing a Young Adult series with co-author Ken Brosky because we really, really got sick of so many stories with a weak female protagonist. We wanted to create a series where the female protagonist--the hero--not only kicks butt, she also uses her brain to win battles. So that is what we did! 
When I am not working on writing stories, I enjoy teasing my cats: Dusty and Figaro.

Tell me about your book/s
200 years ago, the Brothers Grimm unleashed their stories upon the world.
Literally.
But there was a problem: the longer the characters from the Grimms' world remain on earth, the more evil they become. Prince Charming. The dancing princesses. Cinderella. The poor miller's boy. EVERYONE becomes evil because they don't belong. They are the Corrupted. Enter: Alice Goodenough, who's just finished her junior year of high school. She's been chosen to be the next hero. It's her job to rid the world of the Corrupted. With the help of a magic pen and a talking rabbit, she must use her knowledge to fulfill her destiny.

What are your favourite books?
Isabella: The Ramona series, anything by Roald Dahl, The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, and The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros.
Ken: I think my fave book of all time is Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.

Who is your inspiration?
Isabella: Any woman who's used her brain to be successful. I am waiting for the first female president to kick some butt.
Ken: My parents inspire me. Great people.

Are you working on any books we should look out for in the future?
Isabella: We are planning on releasing a new "episode" of the Grim Chronicles series every two months, provided our editor can keep up! :)
Ken: I'm trying to finish another fantasy novel about a siege. Lordy, I've been overwhelmed by the research. But I always have some extra time in the summer when I'm not teaching.

What is your favourite quote?
Isabella: I can honestly say I have never been asked this ... I do not know ...
Ken: I like to tell people "The harder I work, the more luck I have." It's by Thomas Jefferson. It has its limits, though.

If you could be any character from any book who would you be and why?
Isabella: I have always thought it would be fun to live inside a giant peach. I love eating peaches and so it seems like a fun adventure.

What is your favourite genre? 
Isabella: Young Adult! Sometimes, I enjoy a good non-fiction book.
Ken: I like literary fiction, but when I get bored with it I sneak in some genre fiction. I devoured George R.R. Martin's books even thought I didn't love them.

Who are your favourite authors?
Isabella: Sandra Cisneros and Roald Dahl.
Ken: I can't say I have a favorite author. I know that sounds totally weird, but whenever I read a really, really good book, I'm hesitant to buy any of the author's other books because I'm afraid they won't be as good. Oh jeez, that's awful ... I hope other people aren't as weird as me.

What tips would you give young aspiring writers? 
Isabella: Make sure you have someone look over your work.
Ken: Always connect with book bloggers. They're the greatest people on the planet.

If you could live in any story world what would it be?
Isabella: I have to say, I very much would love to live in Roald Dahl's world.
Ken: The first thing that came to mind when I read this question was "Game of Thrones." But really, that sounds absolutely terrifying. I don't think there should be anything romantic about living in a medieval world. Getting run through with a sword, using an outhouse and spending all day working in a field? Blech! Give me the nice, down-to-earth world of one of Charles Stross's novels ... at least they have Internet.

What is the worst book you've ever read?
Isabella: I personally am not a fan of Twilight. I know that will cause some consternation, but I have a very hard time reading books where the girl's most important decision is choosing between two boys. I know there is more to it than that, and I have nothing against those who enjoy the book, but that is what stood out most when I was reading it.

What do you do aside from writing?
Isabella: I am a big fan of watching reruns of Joss Whedon stuff.
Ken: I enjoy playing video games and bike riding.


Want to read the book? It's on Amazon here! Oh don't you just love author interviews? I strongly agree with Ken's above statement about book bloggers and I'm honored to have someone who wasn't taken in by the Twilight Cult on my blog! Want me to interview you? If your an author of course I don't just interview anyone :) Though if your not an author but you can think of a good enough reason for me to interview you I may consider it!
Email me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

0 People dared to comment.:

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.