Before I Fall By Lauren Oliver

Friday 4 May 2012

Before I Fall
Cover Rating: 2/5
Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Synposis: What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life? Samantha Kingston has it all: the world’s most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High—from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to be her last. Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.

I don't know why I bought this book, I think it was because I'd just finished Thirteen Reasons Why and was in the mood for a weepy book - It was why I read My Sisters Keeper - but unlike those I didn't find this particularly sad. I felt bad because well your supposed to cry when someone dies but Sam died so many times in this book it just got kind of old. I do love the idea though; living your last day over and over until you realize what it is that you have to do. I wasn't keen on Sam the main character but by the end I liked her a little more. Not many authors can pull off teenagers too well (P.C. Cast can't) but I think Lauren Oliver got it right. Okay well I know not all teenagers act like some of these did but a lot actually do. Sam and her gang of mean girls, well there's always them but these ones took it to the limit. The sad thing that this book showed is they don't always know they're doing it, A lot of the time they do but no all of the time.

I didn't like many characters in this book, Lindsey (the head mean girl) just annoyed me, Ally was okay and I liked Elody slightly. The one character I did like was Kent, he was sweet and weird - without being creepy. One of the best combinations. Sam's boyfriend on the other hand - ugh I just wanted to punch him and I'm not a violent person. The book progressed quite slowly and was quite repetitive which is why it didn't get a higher rating, it fell slightly short of my expectations but it was really well written. I would recommend this to people who like a sad-ish book that's not depressing. I would give it 3.5/5 stars.


My Favorite Quote: 
“Here's one of the things I learned that morning: if you cross a line and nothing happens, the line loses meaning. It's like that old riddle about a tree falling in a forest, and whether it makes a sound if there's no one around to hear it. 
You keep drawing a line farther and farther away, crossing it every time. That's how people end up stepping off the edge of the earth. You'd be surprised at how easy it is to bust out of orbit, to spin out to a place where no one can touch you. To lose yourself--to get lost. 
Or maybe you wouldn't be surprised. Maybe some of you already know.
To those people, I can only say: I'm sorry.” 



Email me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

6 People dared to comment.:

Unknown said...

Hi Interesting review. I have seen so many varied responses to this book. By the way, I saw your post on Goodread YA blogs and am happy to follow you. Please find me at: http://todayinshenaya.blogspot.com
Gwynneth

Michael Cargill said...

Sounds a bit like that 50 First Dates film with Adam Sandler.

One thing; I find it really annoying when all these books have pictures of beautiful women on the front. I get so tempted to buy them just for that alone.

Emily said...

It sounds very frustrating for you ;)
Too bad most books with beautiful women on the front are chick-lit, I doubt your a fan of that.

Emily said...

Thanks, I like your blog

Unknown said...

I love this book,BUT Great Review!
Have a good weekend!
I'm following your blog.
Mariana - World of Tori Vega.

Kristin said...

I have been wanting to read this book, because I loved the Delrium series but, I have heard mixed things about this book.

your newest follower,
Kristin
youngadultbookhaven.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.