Top Ten... Most Intimidating Books

Tuesday 2 July 2013

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish. As many of you know, I love top tens so naturally this is my favorite meme and I'm so glad to be getting back to it at long last! So today's theme is...
Top Ten Most Intimidating Books!
Here are mine in no particular order:


War and PeaceA Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)Les Misérables

1) War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy - With almost 1400 pages, anyone who said this wasn't intimidating is clearly lying to you! The concept does look interesting though so I am planning to read this someday. 

2) A Game Of Thrones by George R.R. Martin - This one I have already read but with the huge size, it took a lot of courage to start. Some of the other books in the series are even larger so it will take a lot to continue.

3) Les Miserables by Victor Hugo - This beats even War and Peace's word count at over 1450 pages. After loving the musical version though I vowed to read it.

A Tale of Two CitiesPandemonium (Delirium, #2)Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3)

4) Anything by Charles Dickens - I am actually yet to finish a Dickens book mostly due to the fact that last time I tried I wasn't really old enough to appreciate. I am planning to read his full works some day though.

5) Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver - I know what you're all thinking, how can Pandemonium possibly intimidate me? Well, the answer is - I have no clue. It's been so long since I read the first that I don't even remember whether I liked it and I just don't want to start this one.

6) Monsters Of Men by Patrick Ness - I absolutely adored the first book in the series but the second one fell a bit flat for me so, one reason is I don't want the series to end on a low. Another reason is that Ness has a way of making you love a character then he kills them off at the end of the book. Think its a fluke? It's happened in both books, it's safe to assume he's doing it on purpose.

Paradise Lost A Clockwork OrangeBattle Royale

7) Paradise Lost by John Milton - Four words: 400 page epic poem.

8) A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess - I have been informed this book is not even in English but a mixture of Cockney and Russian. I absolutely despise slang  - I'm a Queen's English girl - so I don't know if I have much hope of getting through it.
9) Battle Royale by Koushun Takami - I've been told  its a more violent version of The Hunger Games and the concept scares me.

City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)

10) City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare - This one isn't even out yet and I know I will have trouble reading it. It is the last ever book in the Mortal Instrument series. Last. Ever. I may have to stretch it until the sequel series comes out...

So... what are your most intimidating books? And do you think you'll ever read them?

4 People dared to comment.:

Uncorked Thoughts said...

I completely agree with so many books on this list! The classics can be pretty rough.

My TTT

Anonymous said...

Game of Thrones is intimidating! It's on so many people's lists as well this week. (Mine included!)

lillylilac said...

Good list, I also have Les Miserables and A Song of Ice and Fire series also make my list. I don't think you should read A Clockwork Orange if you hate slang because I hear there's a ton of it. I want to read Battle Royale because it's a more violent version of the Hunger Games.

Terry Tyler said...

I'd just like to say that the Game of Thrones series is SO worth it!! I liked the second one , A Clash of Kings best - though I have to say that I found the last one, A Dance with Dragons a bit too long, with two many characters in the Danaerys chapters. Now I'm patiently waiting for the next one, like millions of others...

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.