Classic Of February: 1984 By George Orwell

Monday 1 July 2013

Series: Standalone
Nineteen Eighty-FourGenre: Classics, Science Fiction
Release Date: 1949
Source: Library 
Overall Rating: 1/5 Stars
Cover Rating: 0/5 Stars
Synopsis: Winston Smith works for the Ministry of truth in London, chief city of Airstrip One. Big Brother stares out from every poster, the Thought Police uncover every act of betrayal. When Winston finds love with Julia, he discovers that life does not have to be dull and deadening, and awakens to new possibilities. Despite the police helicopters that hover and circle overhead, Winston and Julia begin to question the Party; they are drawn towards conspiracy. Yet Big Brother will not tolerate dissent - even in the mind. For those with original thoughts they invented Room 101 . . .

First Line: It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

I had high hopes for this book after hearing so much about it. I imagined adventure, romance and an interesting dystopian world. Did I get it? Not in the slightest. This is the book that first put the phrase 'Big Brother is watching' in our vocabulary. It probably spurred thousands of conspiracy theory's around the world. The premise was way before it's time but I didn't like it in the slightest. I know it's millions of fans would argue but I do not believe it was very well written. It felt to me as if the author had come up with the great idea of a dictatorship but with more technology than could have even been imagined back then and then his ideas had fizzled out. The characters and plot just came across to me as an afterthought.

The characters were my biggest problem. Winston was made out to be so amazing because he was capable of original thoughts and didn't conform to societies ways but I didn't see it. Sure, he was more rebellious than the others but there was something about him that I hated. He threw threats around for absolutely no reason and went from hating someone to loving them in seconds. I also didn't like the other main character Julia. There isn't much I can say about her except she is one of the most one dimensional characters I have ever come across.

Before reading the book, I had watched the film and I can honestly say I vastly preferred it. Everything about it was ten times better than the book and that is not something I say often. Normally, I would say here how I recommended this book to no one but as it is so iconic and has so many fans, I will leave you to make your own decisions on it. Who knows, I may be the only one out there who genuinely hates it.

 Email me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

3 People dared to comment.:

rose.ann.castro said...

I'm glad I read your review before picking this up! Thanks for your honest review.

Ann@Blogging E-books

YILee said...

I confess I've never read the book, but loved the film. Great review...I won't be bothering with the book.

Emily said...

I'm glad you liked my review :)

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.