The Hunger Games By Suzanne Collins

Sunday 29 January 2012

The Hunger Games, where to start. Well at first I was a little apprehensive about reading this book, I'm not really one for reading a book everyone's obsessing over but I thought I would give it a shot. I finished this book last night at 2 O'clock in the morning, it was that addictive that I kept reading it even knowing I had to get up in a couple of hours. All I was thinking when reading this book was 'Why did I leave it so long to read this'.  There was not one part I didn't like.

The Hunger Games follows Katniss Everdeen, she lives with her mother and her sister Prim. Since her fathers death Katniss has been the sole provider for her family but she has to leave them to fend for themselves when her sister Prim is selected to compete in The Hunger Games and Katniss takes her place. The Hunger Games is a fight to the death where two kids from each district are selected as participants, one girl and one boy aged between twelve and eighteen. And this is all aired on live TV.
Here is the synopsis:

"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.  Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Primrose, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love."

Personally I loved this book, I know it sounds slightly gory but it really isn't. Suzanne Collins has put a romantic twist into fighting to the death. Any other author I think would have gone overboard with the gore but The Hunger Games is perfect. It is also going to be turned into a movie soon (YAY!). I really recommend this book to everyone, it really is a work of art. I would give this book a 5/5 stars, I would give it more if I could. So what did you think of the hunger games? If you are an author and want to do an interview or for me to review your book let me know and if anyone is interested in doing a guest review it would be much appreciated.

My favourite quote:
“You don’t forget the face of the person who was your last hope.”

Email me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

3 People dared to comment.:

stevothesecond said...

this book is inspiring!!! great book, not as good a plot as harry potter, but better written

Kim Smith said...

I loved this first book and watched the movie twice. That shows I am a totally fan. But then, the second book came out and while I devoured it...wasn't left with the same giddy feelings...now that the movie is out, I am wanting to go see it but...maybe Netflix instead this time :(

Unknown said...

Though I like Divergent better, Hunger games is very very entertaining and addictive.And no, there's no gore. It is simplicity packed with action, perfection and entertainment. Love it.

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.