Author Interview With Desiree Finkbeiner

Sunday 17 June 2012

Morning Star (Ethos, #1)This interview is long overdue so sorry about that but enjoy!

Tell me about yourself
I'm a busy mother of four, one with Asperger's Syndrome, so I stay pretty busy with my kids. But outside of family, writing and art are my passion, so every moment I can spare is spent on writing and creating.

Tell me about your book/s
In  short,  it’s  written  in  first person, from the heroine’s perspective. She’s a normal college girl until she has an accident that warrants a trip to the hospital. Her injuries heal quickly and her lab results are off the charts. It’s a mystery as to why bizarre happenings are overshadowing her, until Kalen, the hero, enters the
picture.
He reveals to her an ancient prophecy that transcends time and the planes of existence, challenging her take on reality, and Brianna is thrust into a race for her life. With the balance of their worlds at stake, Kalen takes Brianna to his world, where he can better protect her… unanswered questions would be addressed by the council that resides  in the mountain cities of Ethos, so they take up their journey.

During their trek to the mountains, they undergo a series of trials, and find themselves facing the ultimate choice. Throughout their perilous adventure, they are tempted by forbidden love, knowing they can never be together, but it’s that same temptation that leads them to find their greatest strengths.

It’s a story about integrity, duty, agency and self mastery. I wanted to write something that would teach a moral, inspired by an apparent lack  in  action by the people of today. People everywhere seem complacent, and the liberty of those same people is on the brink of destruction. My series is a call to action; to act or be acted upon. It’s about choice, the very thing that makes us superior beings… and the same element that can ultimately lead to destruction, if not exercised wisely.

What are your favourite books?
Scripture  :) Though I enjoy an occasional fantasy or political thriller, I prefer to read nonfiction about history and liberty themes.

Who is your inspiration?
Many writers have inspired me, but since you left your question so open ended, I would have to say that my mother inspires me the most. She's a free spirit and dances to the beat of a different drummer. She encouraged me to embrace being unique and going against the grain.

Are you working on any books we should look out for in the future?
I’m finishing up book #2 in the Ethos series, for a fall 2012 release and also working on a YA steampunk fantasy called, The Elevator.

What is your favourite quote?
"Any man who will sacrifice liberty for security, deserves neither."
Benjamin Franklin

If you could be any character from any book who would you be and why?
That's a hard one. Maybe Chani from Dune, she was tough and got to be Paul Muad'Dib's woman in Frank Herbert's, Dune.

What is your favourite genre?
Definately fantasy, especially urban fantasy.

Who are your favourite authors?
My favorite authors have changed over the years and continue to change as new books come out and my perspectives change. Some select favorites:  Frank  Herbert,  Anne  Rice, J.R.R. Tolkien, Sophia Stewart…But scripture has influenced my writing more than anything.

What tips would you give young aspiring writers?
Read, read, read… It’s amazing how much you can learn by reading other books- plot formation, character development, scene transition, dialogue do’s and don’ts, and what type of descriptive writing is appealing or over done. Granted everyone likes different styles, but by reading other author’s work, you will learn to form your own voice by taking metal notes of what you liked and what you didn’t like.

Also,  avoid people who do not lift you up as an artist/writer. Surround yourself with people who love you for who you are, who will be  happy  when you have small victories. People who constantly criticize your attempts to become great, will never achieve anything, because they aren’t willing to strive for greatness themselves. Keep writing!

If you could live in any story world what would it be?

Well, I know it's not a book, but it's a screenplay and movie. I'd live in 'Avatar' with the Na'Vi.

What is the worst book you've ever read?

Twilight. LOL. I couldn't finish. I did watch all the movies, but only once each... and they were okay. I just couldn't stand Bella Swan. And I realize there will be people who dislike my book too, but you can't please everyone. Don't get me wrong, I admire Stephanie Meyer for her success, I just couldn't stand the books. Since I was spoiled by Anne Rice's vampire world, I just couldn't get into the teeny-bopper sparkling boys in Twilight. I'm still team Lestat!

What do you do aside from writing
?
ART! ;) And lots of it!

Want more?

Author websitewww.finkartstudio.com
Author facebook fanpagewww.facebook.com/finkartstudio
Author twitterhttps://twitter.com/finkart

Email me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

1 People dared to comment.:

Unknown said...

Great interview! I will check out this author

Cierra @ Blogovation Design
www.blogovationdesign.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.