Imaginary Girls By Nova Ren Suma

Saturday 20 October 2012

Series: Standalone
GenreYoung Adult, Magical Realism, Paranormal
Release Date: June 14th 2011
Source: Bought
Overall Rating: 3/5 Stars
Cover Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
Synopsis: Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby. But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.

What did I just read? That was the first thought that popped into my mind when I finished this book. I have never been so dumbfounded by a book before. I'm not even sure whether I liked it or not. I spent the entire book with questions and when the answers came at the end I just didn't get them. I wasn't originally even going to rate this book because I'm just not sure what it actually deserves. The book centers around sisters, Ruby and Chloe. They are very close but there is something not right about Ruby. I can't really say anymore about this book since the best thing about it is the shock of all the events.

It's hard to describe the characters in this book. The minor characters were just pawns in moving the story along, they didn't really have personalities. Chloe, the main character, didn't really have a personality either but then I suppose that was the point. Chloe worshiped her sister Ruby and they seemed to have a really good relationship... at first. Ruby was psychotic. Interesting, but psychotic. She was also a siren when it came to her old boyfriends as they - and everyone else in town - doted on her. Did she deserve it? Nope. The only thing I actually liked was hope dedicated she is to her sister, even if it is in a creepy way. One thing that really annoyed me was that we were told about one character who was immune to Ruby's charms but that didn't go anywhere. You would expect them to be the hero of the story, they weren't.

Time for some positives! The story building and the writing in the book really was gorgeous. If it weren't for the characters I would have rated it a lot higher on the beautiful writing alone. I did really enjoy the book even if the ending was mega confusing. I would recomend this book to people who enjoy beautiful writing but don't mind huge mind benders.

My Favorite Quote:
“The story you choose to tell isn't always the story you believe.”

Email me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

0 People dared to comment.:

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.