Supernaturally By Kiersten White

Saturday 8 September 2012

Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2)
Cover Rating: 4/5 Stars
Overall Rating: 3.5/5 Stars
Synopsis: Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be...kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees. But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself.
So much for normal.

I was really looking forward to this book because I had loved the last one and I had huge expectations. Sadly for me it seems my expectations were a little too high. I didn't find this book as entertaining as the last and the heroine who I had adored in the last book seemed like a shadow of her former self. The story line was not as defined as the last one so I would sometimes have to think about what the point of a lot of actions were. The book did get better as it went on but I missed the hilarity and quirkiness of the first book. The story takes place in Lend's hometown which kind of made me miss the center she used to live in. Evie has finally got the life she's dreamed of all her life but she's bored. The moment she is asked back to the IPCA, the place she's always wanted to escape she jumps at the chance.

A lot of the characters just didn't do it for me this time round. Evie herself came across as selfish and annoying, no much I tried to ignore it I couldn't. She seems very self centered and makes a huge deal of things that didn't matter all that much. Luckily her quick wit and sarcasm kept me from hating her, I am hoping her original personality returns in the last book and this one is just temporary. I loved Lend in the first book but he wasn't in this one all that much and when he was it didn't really leave an impression. He's sweet, kind and... a bit boring. Reth also wasn't in it much but he is very intriguing, I much preferred him in this book though. There was a new character called Jack who I loved the moment he popped into the book. He was hilarious and so hyper. I found myself looking forward to his every chapter. Jack saved the book for me though I really wish the author hadn't ruined that for me in the last few pages.

Overall the book was not as good as the first but still pretty good. The addition of Jack most definitely increased my enjoyment of most of the book. The start was slow but it soon quickened. One thing I loved were the chapter titles, I usually skip reading them in other books but these made me laugh every time. The personality in this series is just amazing, you can connect with the narrative voice which isn't always that easy. I would recommend this series to people who want a light, witty read with likable characters.

My Favorite Quote:
“Marry me. Nay, marriage will cost us precious moments together. Let us make sweet, passionate love right here. Let me bear your children.”
A primal growl signaled Miss Lynn getting over her shock at being thus addressed. She lunged forward; Jack deftly rolled off the bench, jumping up out of her reach.
“Goodness, I didn’t expect you to be quite this enthusiastic about my advances. If I don’t play hard to get, how will I ever know whether or not you respect me?”

“When I caught up, I grabbed Jack’s arm. “What are you doing here?” 
“Hiding! That’s how you play the game, right? I though tthe title hide-and-seek was fairly self-explanatory. Then again, you are blond.” 
“So are you, idiot. Again, what are you doing here?”

“Jack might look my age, but he was like a little kid on a sugar high - in need of a good spanking. - Good heavens, that sounded creepy.”

Email me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

0 People dared to comment.:

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.