Legend By Marie Lu

Sunday 2 December 2012

Legend (Legend, #1)Series: Legend #1
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia, Romance
Release Date: November 29th 2011
Source: Bought
Overall Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
Cover Rating: 3/5 Stars
Synopsis: What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem. From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

I wasn't sure whether I would like this book. I had read very mixed reviews but eventually I decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did. Legend was quite a thin book but it managed to pack a lot in there. The dystopian world that it was set in wasn't particularly original but Marie Lu managed to craft it into something that I didn't recognize. It was very much politically orientated like most dystopia's but there wasn't one dull moment. Personally I think dystopian novels are a great way of getting teenagers into politics. The story follows June and Day. Day fights everyday just to survive and not be caught by the authorities. June lives a life of luxury and is the prodigy of her republic. Both of their lives become hopelessly entangled when June's brother is murdered and Day, being the most wanted person in the republic, is the main suspect. June goes hunting for him but when they meet, neither knowing who the other one is, the spark is undeniable.

At last, a book where I love both the hero and the heroine! As the book is told in alternating points of view, I got to know them pretty well. June was a great heroine, she was badass, could fight and wasn't afraid to speak her mind. I mean the girl when hunting her brother's murderer alone so of course she's tough. Day was amazing! He put himself in danger regularly to get his family supplies, he takes care of an orphaned girl and he's wanted by the government, what's cooler than that? I loved the chemistry between June and Day. They are at completely different ends of the social spectrum but at the same time they are so similar.

Overall, I loved this book. It kept me on the edge of my seat and I couldn't predict anything that happened. She managed to create an exciting plot, an amazing story world and likable characters. If that isn't talent I don't know what is. I would recommend this book to those who enjoyed Divergent or are fans of dystopia. Actually I'd even recommend it to those who don't usually enjoy dystopia, it's that good.

My Favorite Quote:

“Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time. You try to walk in the light."

“I don't know if anyone's ever told you this", he begins. He doesn't blush, and his eyes don't dart away. Instead I find myself starring into a pair of oceans - one perfect, the other blemished by that tiny ripple. "You're very attractive." 
I've been complimented on my appearance before. But never in his tone of voice. Of all the things he's said, I don't know why this catches me off guard. 
But it startles me so much that without thinking I blurt out, "I could say the same about you." I pause. "In case you didn't know." 
A slow grin spreads across his face. "Oh, trust me. I know.”

“My mother used to hope that I would rise up from my humble roots. Become someone successful  or even famous. I'm famous all right, but I don't think it's what she had in mind.”

Email me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

1 People dared to comment.:

Elisa said...

Cool! I have this book on my TBR but haven't picked it up yet. I am so excited to read it now, great review. :)

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.